Oral Health for Caregivers
Caregivers, May 2018
Oral Health for Caregivers was developed by oral health experts and the Arcora Foundation. These online continuing education modules provide critical oral health information for those who care for older adults with an emphasis on prevention.
Designed for home care aides, the content, videos, and downloadable resources introduce oral health in an easy-to-understand format with strategies that can be implemented immediately.
1. Oral Health Basics
- How oral health affects overall health
- How aging affects oral health
- Basic facts about oral health and ways to assist clients with routine oral care
- What a healthy mouth and unhealthy mouth look like
- How to identify and report unusual conditions in and around the mouth to help clients prevent oral disease or intervene early before a dental problem becomes serious
2. Improving Oral Health for Clients with Dementia
- How dementia effects the brain and behavior
- Understanding care-resistant behaviors (CRBs) of clients
- The relationship between oral health and dementia
- Practical strategies to overcome resistance to oral care
Cost: These training are offered FREE in Washington state. If you are located outside of Washington, please contact Karen Lewis at 206.528.7344.
Credit: 1 credit per course, all courses accredited by Washington State DSHS
To access the online courses:
- Email Karen Lewis requesting access to the courses at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please include your: First and Last Name and Organization/Affiliation
- You will receive an email with a link to create a log-in to become a learner in the Bridge system (only necessary to do once; works best in Chrome or Internet Explorer)
- In Bridge, you will see your My Learning page where can choose courses
- Once you complete the course, return to your My Learning page to save/print your course completion certificate